Friday, March 19, 2010

Wedding Season Ahoy!


[Photo by Brit Worgan]

This year, I'm going to make a push to do more weddings. After a lousy breakup I decided to take a hiatus from shooting weddings. But now I'm back in business and more prepared than ever; I'm real excited to get back in the game.

There is a lot of pressure on a wedding photographer to make magic happen in a split second. And the post processing work can be an enormous work load. The photographer is locked in their studio for a solid several days/weeks/months, only to emerge for cigarette breaks and coffee refills.


But It's not all bad, in fact... it's sort of addicting.

When I first meet with a client I give them a price list which is anywhere from $1,500-$5,000 depending on what kind of package they are looking for. I show them my portfolio and explain to them my style of shooting. As a photojournalist, my style is documentary. I don't take wedding photos that are cheesy and forced. Sure, we will do the traditional posed pictures and whatever else the bride and groom want, but with a professional and creative spin you can really set yourself apart from other wedding photographers.

Having worked as a second shooter for Vanity Fair and Vogue wedding photographers, I learned the difference between a good photograph vs. a breathtaking photograph.

But of course, that doesn't mean you are always what the client is looking for. Some people appreciate traditional and safe photography. They are not interested in magazine style wedding photos and cannot work it within their budget. There is never anything wrong with that. It's better to meet with someone who knows what they want vs. someone who isn't sure and can't pay their bill.

There are many different types of wedding photographers out there, and they come in all different shapes and prices. Like with anything else, you get what you pay for. But remember, this isn't just a business transaction, it's two people so madly in love with one another they are crazy enough to the the knot. Give em' something to write home about !


[Photo by Brit Worgan]

1 comment:

  1. i can only pray that i have the pleasure of having you as my wedding photographer one day. i have been planning this FOR YEARS.

    ReplyDelete