Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lite Brite


What's the difference between a amateur photo and a professional photo?



Truth be told, I'm a tiny lady.

I stand a little over 5 feet tall and weight 105 lbs. which means packing light is necessary (have you ever tried running with 50+lbs. of equipment hanging off of you? - military members, don't answer that).

When I go on assignment I pack 3 lens, 1 extender, 1 body, 1 flash, and 2 pocket wizards. My lenses give me a range of 14mm-800mm (with extender) and of course, without a camera body there wouldn't be a photo at the end of the day. But my most important (and least heaviest) part to my pack is my flash, PW's, and a super clamp.

Because I am the night photographer, I shoot a lot of sports for the paper. I like to mix it up a bit, for myself and our readers, by adding different light techniques when covering, say, a basketball game.

Many photographers will tell you that you will need at least two flashes (if not more) to evenly light a full gym. I beg to differ. When on an assignment, I need to get in and out of a game with enough useable shots as possible, before I'm called off to another assignment and with enough time to process and caption all my images.

I like to stick to one end of the court, the side the team I am covering is shooting towards. I set up my flash behind the hoop, just a little above head level of the players and off to the side, as to create a few shadows. I don't waste my time with light stands, even though they are always in my car just in case. Instead I use a super clamp. Also, if you are having a hard time finding a position above the basket, usually there are bleachers with railings set up that can give you that off the center position even though it's not under the basket. (you will want to shoot on the same side as your flash.)

So if you're concerned that you're not packing enough light, don't fret! Only you know what works for you (and your pocket).

Results:

No comments:

Post a Comment