Monday, February 15, 2010

Living for a Living

A fellow photographer once asked me
"What are you first, an artist or a journalist?"

"I'm an artist"

"WRONG" she said

Excuse me?? No, no. No no no.

Before I stumbled upon journalism I was an 11-year-old girl, creating a photo essay of my parents footwear choices; stealing the family video camera to write, direct, produce ( and star! ) in my very own TV commercials. I have always been creating art, and was well aware that I was way better at it than, say, quantum physics. So I stuck with it, and got better at it; it became apart of my person.

Now, as a 23-year-old professional, I can see how (and why) someone would loose sight of who they were before they started their career. Turning something you love into a profession can be tricky, and most artists will have to figure it out; cause starving is only a 3-week option.

What sets you apart from every other photographer/artist/writer/musician/quantum physicist is the creative mind. Your creative mind.

Loosing sight of yourself is like drawing a target on your back while waiting to be replaced by a machine.

And that, is a recipe for disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment