Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Sniffin' Glue"

While I'd wait for my ex-girlfriends band to start their set, I'd sometimes sit in the back of the bands tour van and read the zines she had collected while on tour.

A punk zine is a subculture in and of itself. The underground free press operation of punk music also included punk literature, DIY living, and politically-charged, radical ideology. Written, designed, and pressed by you, me, and some library's photocopier.

I still get pumped, just like I did when I was 16 picking up an issue off of a merch table at a show, to I find a back issue of something when shifting through the freegan market's 'Really Really Free Market' in greenwich village. There's just something about the weathered edges, the off-center typography, that makes it unique and common.


This new video put out by Wired magazine showcases their new slick design template for a digital product. The verdict is still out on several things, such as, how will this translate visually onto a smart phone and how much will this cost?


I'm sure Chris Anderson and Steve Jobs are riding their respective segways' right now to an undisclosed location to geek it out work out those details.

But somethings are meant to be left untouched and kept simple, because sometimes that's just better.

No comments:

Post a Comment