Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WWKHD?

As a photographer, artist, journalist, queer, female, activist, faced with difficult situations, I ask myself "What would Kathleen Hanna Do?"

The great Jessica Valenti shared with me this interview she recently found on GRITtv with Kathleen Hanna



For those of you who don't know, Kathleen Hanna is: a musician, feminist, activist, three dimensional role model, zine writer, and my personal heroine

While studying photography she worked as a stripper in Olympia, Washington to make ends meet. Her work focused mainly on documenting underground feminism, sexism, and the stark realities of those dying of AIDS. In partnership with a fellow student, the exhibit shed light on what was happening to men, women, and respective queer community members in the late 80's. Before the work could be shown, the schools administration censored the exhibit

.... WWKHD?

Maybe... start her own photo gallery, front several punk-dance-feminist-activist bands, become a significant partner of the third-wave?

Of course! of course.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I love Kathleen Hanna so much. What would she do? I ask myself, all the time. She is so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete