Tuesday, February 23, 2010

This is ourselves, Under pressure

If you work in the publishing industry, you know

Nothing comes easy.


Everything needs to be your best product; every time. No excuses; your readers don’t want excuses. They want perfect, and they should expect nothing less. No pressure guy.


I feed off of this, as do many who work in editorial or any deadline driven industry. It’s something we can all agree on. There is no such thing as an excuse inside a newsroom, nor should there be.


Example:

If state police block off roadways, preventing you from getting a shot of the fatal car crash that is your page 1 story tomorrow … you better park your car at a gas station, pack up your gear, walk the 2.6 miles uphill through a foot of snow, and get at least 3 different angles before you go back to that newsroom.


Sometimes I wonder to myself, what is worse: the villainous 2.6 mile uphill snow journey or the grizzly despondence in my editor’s eyes if I was to come back with nothing.


the latter always wins.


A medical professional (or, your mom) would tell you it probably isn’t all that healthy to be held to such high expectations every day; you’re bound to fail someone. But it’s something I have learned to live with and it’s good to keep your ego in check. Being a photographer under these pressures makes me a stronger, more courageous, kinder, harder, driven, sassy, calm, appreciative, 23-year-old. And doggone it, people like me.




No comments:

Post a Comment